As-salamu `alaykum. I study Islamic Studies, and I've learned that the parents of our beloved Prophet (peace be on him) will be put into Hellfire in accordance with two Prophetic hadiths (namely, Sahih Muslim, vol. 1, p. 136, hadith No. 398 and vol. 2, p. 463, hadith No. 2130). I'm now confused, and some Christian scholars attack the Prophet (peace be on him) and his parents, claiming that Jesus' mother is one of the best women and of the women of Heaven according to both Christian and Islamic beliefs and that Muhammad's parents will be punished in Hellfire on the grounds of these hadiths. So, may I know the scholarly opinion on this big issue based on the Qur'an and authentic hadiths? And how will we solve this issue of comparing between the highness of Mary and the Prophet's parents?Thank you very much

Answer
Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
Brother, we really do appreciate your question, which shows how interested you are in becoming well acquainted with Islam and its teachings. May Allah bless your efforts in pursuit of knowledge!
Allah, the Almighty, has sent His Messengers to lead people to His Right Path. Some people accept the Divine Message and follow the Prophets, while others go astray refusing the Divine Guidance and even, in some cases, oppose and torture the Messengers and their followers. Allah has given no power to anyone to force others to be guided or astray; rather, He has left this to the very personal choice of the individual, so that he or she will deserve either bliss or punishment in the Hereafter.
As He is the All-Just, Allah, the Exalted, will not torture those to whom no Messengers were sent or those who have no access to know about Divine Messages.
Responding to your question, Dr. Wael Shihab, PhD in Islamic Studies, Al-Azhar University, Ex-Head of the Fatwa Unit of IslamOnline.net (English website), and theShari`ah Consultant to the (English) Shari`ah Dept. of Onislam.net website, stated,
Thank you for your question.

It was far better to quote the hadiths you are referring to, as hadith serial numbers may differ from one edition to another.

In short, I would like to say that the Prophet's parents, according to the views of reliable Muslim scholars, are among the people who are called Ahl Al-Fatrah. They are those who lived in periods when there was no Prophet sent by Allah. They will be saved by the Grace and Mercy of Allah, Who says in the Qur'an, (We never punish until We have sent a Messenger) (Al-Isra': 15).

Finally, Muslims need not indulge in debates about such issues that bring no benefit, and they had better concern themselves with what helps them to be close to Allah.

May Allah accept your and our good deeds!
Allah Almighty knows best.